We Train Midwives!
The Corpus Christi Birth Center trains student midwives (apprentices). We are currently accepting applications from students who are looking for short term or long term apprenticeships, full or part time. We offer training without financial cost, using a work exchange program. All students are guaranteed scheduled time off for both personal time and study time.
Corpus Christi Birth Center is currently accepting applications for potential students who might fit with our practice. Please note that we are NARM approved preceptors. Our preferred midwifery college is “Mercy in Action” but we will consider other programs on a case-by-case basis. It is fair that you know that we are a group of Christian midwives with conservative Bible based values and seek to work with students within our practice who will not only respect but hopefully share our Biblical values.
We promise to review every application. If we think that you might be a good fit for our practice, we will let you know we want to discuss further with you the possibility of an apprenticeship with CCBC. If we do not think you would be a good fit for our practice, we will let you know that too and still wish you the very best in finding an apprenticeship that will best fit for your needs.
Students we believe are the best fit with us:
- have compatible values and share a Biblical world view with our staff midwives and preceptors, who are Bible believing Christians.
- have an exceptional work ethic and are willing to cheerfully help with cleaning responsibilities at the birth center and office in exchange for their apprenticeship experience.
- are self-motivated and self-disciplined.
- are willing to serve others from all walks of life both cheerfully and respectfully.
If you wish to apply, please use this link for the most current application form Apprenticeship Application 06-2021 We will be happy to consider you for an apprenticeship. Filling out this application does not obligate you to accept an apprenticeship nor does it obligate us to offer you an apprenticeship. However, we ask that only those who are seriously interested apply.
Our apprenticeship program is an opportunity for those who would like to get clinical training with CCBC while they study midwifery. It is an opportunity to work towards becoming a Licensed and/or Certified Professional Midwife.
This is a work-exchange program. We do not charge our students for training. The education and clinical experience is provided in exchange for midwifery related work during the apprenticeship training period. For this reason, we are looking for individuals with a strong work ethic who are self-motivated and disciplined and who are cheerful and ethical in everything they do.
Short term apprenticeships for 6-8 weeks will be available if and when we expect to be busy or short on full time students. We are usually looking for students who already have some education and experience during these times. If you are a more advanced student looking for some cross-training or extra experience for about 6-8 weeks only, let us know. We might even be able to help with housing for a short period of time.
6-month term apprenticeships
are available to students who want a longer period of training but cannot commit to a full year.
1-Year term apprenticeships
are considered long term commitments and renewal may be considered each year after a review to make sure both the apprentice and her preceptors find the apprenticeship mutually beneficial.
Students who train with us may apply for a staff position with the birth center whenever we have an opening. Because we only work with students who we see us as a good fit, we recognize these students could also be considered a good match as staff midwives, too. We are always looking for opportunities to grow our birth center with like minded staff members who will share our values and vision.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- A Completed Apprenticeship Inquiry Form. Apprenticeship Application 06-2021
- Must have your own transportation, lap top computer and a reliable cell phone.
- We prefer for full time students to be enrolled in an academic program for midwifery academics but we will consider students enrolled in the NARM PEP process under some circumstances.
- Must be available to keep up with a busy midwife’s schedule and be on call 5 days of each week (24 hours a day) while with us. Our students will be given scheduled time off (usually each week), too.
- Apprentices must be a good “fit” for our practice. It is important that we can work well together for long periods of time.
- Cannot have any responsibilities which would interfere while on call or during scheduled clinic hours.
- Must be willing to work and study hard.
If you would are seriously interested in this wonderful educational opportunity please fill out our Application Form! If you want to know more about us, read our website. Answering the questions on our application gives us the opportunity to get to know you a little better.
If we are not able to offer you an apprenticeship, we ask that you not take it as a personal rejection or take it as if we don’t think you will make a good midwife. We may not have available what you need or we may think you would fit with another practice better than ours. We hope you will respect our process and understand the wisdom behind why we screen our applicants. Completed applications should be faxed to 361.336.0212 or sent by email to beth.overton@ccbirthcenterDOTcom (please replace the DOT with an actual dot
Housing and Other Expenses
Students must provide their own living expenses during training. We sometimes can offer low-cost short term housing options for students staying only 6-8 weeks. Ask us about this option if needed.
You will also need to consider the cost of a midwifery course and educational materials which is not included in our offer and we also require students to pay $20 a month to cover the cost of access to our digital charting service.